Day 11

June 22

Yesterday I took the bus since it was a 29 km day and the first 20 km were constant uphill. I knew my Achilles would hurt and I didn't want to be unable to find a bus in the middle of the walk so I slept in and then took the bus with Sibel. She hadn't set an alarm and woke up at 515 to find everyone gone and said she didn't wanna walk alone so she decided to take the bus with me. Finding it was pretty complicated since it was a big city but we used the city maps and when all else failed asked natives "donde est autobus?" My Spanish is very poor but it's at least decent enough to communicate basic things like asking for directions. We had breakfast at a cafe on the river in Najera and then wandered the town and sat in the shade outside a bar and drank a pitcher of sangria until Emma and marnix got to town around 11. They both were exhausted so we all took naps and then had class.

The topic for class was about Thoreau who talked about your spirit must be present with your body in order to fully experience something which again goes back to the belief that pain makes you present and that is part of the Camino experience. I agree with the being present with your body and spirit but I think there are alternative ways to be present besides going through a painful ordeal. After that, we went to the pharmacy and I bought a compression sock for my ankle and we went back to cafe naxara on the river where I had breakfast and had he best sangria and pesto pasta of my life. I ate with Emma and marnix as usual and I don't know if it was the sangria or the company but I can't remember laughing that hard in a long time. I'm really glad me and Emma have gotten closer over the past week and a half and I really hope we hang out at cnu next semester.

The beds at the hostel were right next to each other last night and marnix didn't want to sleep next to
Our professor kip since he snores and farts all night so I traded beds with him in exchange for his mini fan, dinner and sangria. The albergue was also the first one we've stayed at to have AC which made for an amazing nap and sleep. The AC turned off around 2 am and many complained about it being very hot but I didn't notice the heat until I woke up to hike at 430 am so I didn't mind.

Today I finally got back to hiking and it was difficult. The minute I woke up my Achilles hurt but I've been feeling guilty taking the bus so much so I dealt with it. I left with Emma and marnix but they quickly took off so I walked by myself. I didn't mind it. I don't mind being alone. I don't think about anything interesting but I don't mind being alone with my thoughts for a couple hours each day. The hike wasn't too bad. The high for today is 98 degrees so I left early to beat the heat. It still gets warm around 9am once the sun comes up and the wheat fields offer very little shade but when you're hiking everything is sweating anyways. My Achilles hurt going uphill but was manageable. Both my feet just got very tired after about 8 km and I sat down every now and then to rest them.

About 6 km outside Santo Domingo I caught a view of the city sprawled out in front of me and it was just the motivation I needed. My feet were tired and my Achilles hurt but I was ready to shower and nap and sit down for longer than a couple minutes. Around that time Lucas and will caught up with me so I walked with them which kept me at a quick pace which was nice and the albergue opened right as we got there so we could immediately go in and get a bed and shower. Emma and marnix bought me chocolate crossiants to apologize for leaving me but honestly I didn't care too much. I feel worse slowing them down. And now me and emma are sitting in a small plaza just outside the albergue while I blog and she journals. It's quiet and many native men talk to us in Spanish although we don't understand any of it.

The people are very nice. One car drove past and yelled "buen Camino" which was fun since usually the only people who say that tradition are others walking or biking the trail. Most of the people in the towns the Camino passes through are very patient and supportive of pilgrims and often wish us well along the way since they have seen many people before doing what we are doing. My feet are tired but my head is not so I don't need to nap today and the city looks absolutely beautiful. This may be one of my favorite locations up there with puente la reina.

Comments