Day 12

June 23

If we're being honest I've been getting drunk most nights here. The sangria and white wine is delicious and so cheap it's easy to buy a bottle and drink with friends during dinner. It's been really fun. Not just because of the alcohol but also because drinking with good company just makes it that much better.

Today was not my best day. I walked about 7 km to the first town and began crying in pain as I walked from my Achilles. My tendonitis is getting worse. So I sat a bis station in granon waiting for a bus for about an hour I decided to walk to a near albergue to ask for directions but couldn't find it snd as I was walking back to the bus stop I saw my bus drive past and not stop because there was no one at the bus stop. So I sat again and soon enough another bus came but going the opposite direction so the none English speaking driver directed me further down the road so I began walking again and some woman came out of her house and started yelling the Camino was the opposite direction because she thought I was lost.

So I started crying again as she's talking to me and telling me directions to the auto bus which I don't understand and just say ok thanks and continue down the road she pointed and at that point I've called 3 taxi services. 2 didn't exist and 1 man spoke very little English and laughed and said "impossible" when I said I needed a taxi now. So I texted marnix that I was stranded and he gave me the number to a taxi company so I call them and again the man speaks very little English and so I tried to communicate "me gusta taxi" since I was crying and too panicked to think about how to said "I need a taxi" which now everyone makes fun of me for saying but eventually he gave me another phone number to call and that woman said a taxi would be there soon so I walked to the chruch and waited. The taxi driver was very nice but also only spoke Spanish so it was difficult to converse. But he dropped me off in town for about 19 euros and I quickly saw Sibel who had also taktnw the bus.

So we got breakfast and then went our separate ways since she went to the pharmacy and I went to the albergue to see what time it opened. And then I sat in the main center of town plaza and emma and marnix met me there and then we got breakfast at a nearby cafe even though I had already eaten. And then we went to the albergue and I immediately fell asleep for a 3 hour nap and then woke up for class where we talked more about being present with mind and body. Kip told the story of seeing a rattle snake on the app trail and how fear immediately brings you back to present reality which makes sense. I don't argue he's correct I just don't enjoy fearing for my life just to feel present.

The town were in is very cute and pretty small but has all the necessities. I went to the pharmacy to look for dr schols insoles for my shoes or a knee brace since now my knee is starting to hurt too but didn't find anything. I keep getting frustrated my Achilles isn't getting better and seems to be getting worse. I'd like to walk and see the sights that Kip keeps telling us to expect but it's difficult since it's so painful to walk and I have to walk about a mile an hour to reduce the pain. When I got to town my ankle was very swollen so I iced and elevated it and even now it's doing better but I'm sure it'll hurt again tomorrow.

I had dinner with emma and marnix like usual. Marnix made his grandmas vegetable soups recipe which was a little too salty but very good and me and emma drank a lot of white wine and then sat out back of the albergue where the neighbors have a German Shepard and lots of chicken and roosters and bunnies and a pair of peacocks. So we watched the male peacock try to attract the female and drank wine and then began talking about how we don't believe a god could create diseases meant to kill people with a bigger plan and how we struggled with how religious Kip made the classes sometimes since he believes god speaks to him and others while on the trails. While we appreciate the sentimate we just don't agree that it makes sense.

It was perfect weather here today. It was cool while we hiked and then cleared up and warmed up around 1 pm when we were in town which was really nice. The past week has had highs of almost 100 degrees so it was nice to have a high of 83 today. Emma and marnix are very touchy and seems to be more couply each day which is strange since she has a boyfriend of almost a year. They just are always touching or massaging each other. I wouldn't be uncomfortable except I feel bad for her boyfriend. We've talked about our relationships and I know her boyfriend doesn't seem to trust her very much around other guys and she admits to being a flirt. I guess it's just weird since I would never consider being as touchy with another man as she is. Mostly because I'm in love with nate and I would never want to betray his trust.

We do long distance every winter break and summer so it's difficult but we both trust each other completely so it hasn't been a problem. I'm very honest with him and I joke about finding other guys attractive but he's my best friend and I love him more than anything that it's never occurred to me to cheat on him since I couldn't do better than the way he treats me. Emma said usually her relationships max out after a year because she gets bored which I understand because usually I do too but nate is different and so it's just strange to see her and marnix interact although nothing serious has happened between them and I doubt it will.

Comments