Day 15

June 26

Burgos was absolutely beautiful and I ate so well. We got tapas and pizza and it was so filling. The city also had a huge parade so every plaza was filled with bands and balloons and people everywhere celebrating it simply being the weekend. Today we walked about 34 km which was long but since my Achilles doesn't hurt anymore it felt so much better than the previous weeks. Emma marnix and I stayed at some albergue Juan yepes that gave us a 4 person room with a private bathroom for 8 euros which was an amazing change than the usual 40 person dorm rooms. The pilgrim meal was paella and salad and banana and peaches covered in chocolate which was delicious and very filling.

It was nice to finally have some privacy and just lay in bed and watch Netflix with some silence. I'm beginning to get sick so I went to bed early and slept about 11 hours after taking a Benadryl at night at dinner to help me get a good nights sleep. It was exhausting day and our first day on the meseta which had a reputation for being very flat and hot and many people bus over it to avoid it. However, I thought the hills were small enough to be fairly easy but they were hills nonetheless which kept our feet from being exhausted from walking the same step over and over. The scenery is not as beautiful as the mountains were but the rolling hills of wheat fields and farm houses.

My hip flexor got sore from slipping down a hill in the pouring rain but after resting at the albergue it felt much better. I also was walking and wished a couple "buen Camino" and this woman asked if I spoke English and then asked for 50 cents. She told me her and her boyfriend walked to Santiago from Hungary and now we're walking back again. It reminded me of in the Bible when Jesus disguised himself as a beggar to his disciples and I even found myself speaking to god while it rained. Of course it wasn't anything very nice since I was in pain and soaking wet and sweating for my heat being retained From the poncho but nonetheless I spoke to god and asked him if he enjoyed making my life miserable. I still don't think hat means I believe but i felt compelled to just speak to him. Even if he doesn't exist it does no damage.


Comments