Day 18

June 29

I've been pretty bad about blogging lately. The past 2 days have been very difficult so down time is filled with naps and eating and then early to bed. I'm definitely sick. My nose runs constantly and I have a cough and sneeze. And when I lay down my sinuses get congested and it's hard to breath out of my nose. Yesterday we hiked 25 km still on the meseta so it was relatively flat. But my right arch bothered me a lot and I walked alone for the second half of the day. The day began early and hiking straight up a mountain and then straight down and emma and marnix were nice enough to wait for me every couple kilometers but eventually it started raining and so they didn't wait in the rain.

The highs are around 65 degrees with 26 mph wind and rain and clouds so it's very cold and making my illness worse. Luckily I missed most of the rain in a cafe although I definitely didn't miss all of it. The walk was difficult because I was in so much pain and the walk seemed to never end. But I pushed myself and made it the whole way without a bus and only arrived an hour after emma and marnix. After that we ddi laundry and drank sangria and then took a nap before class. I'm so exhausted and my body hates me for pushing myself when I'm sick and sore.

I facetimed my parents for the second time this trip and all the sudden I got really sad about this trip. For some reason calling them always brings out the negative and I get very disappointed in myself and my trip. Maybe because the day was so tough but I keep asking myself if being here is worth it. This trip is probably not something I would recommend doing with a large group with different skill levels. It makes it difficult. The hike itself is very difficult in the beginning through the mountains and pushing yourself to get to a certain destination doesn't help. My body isn't used to being pushed like this. Usually I don't work out and if my body gets sore I rest and when I'm sick I am bed ridden. 

Today was just as hard. It was only 20 km but even colder than the day before and I walked alone the entire time. It's flat which is nice because I don't sweat but it means the wind comes whipping across the wheat fields and is strong enough to push you over. Again, I was close to giving up and taking the bus but I pushed myself and walked the whole thing. When I got to the albergue I got out my sleeping bag and just laid on the street waiting for the albergue to open. It was freezing cold around 55 degrees and high winds so not even my layers and sleeping bag kept me warm. 

The albergue we stayed at was pretty cool though. It's a monestary operated by nuns and volunteers and I napped as soon as I got inside and then at 6pm there was a sing along where most of the people in the albergue gathered in the lobby and sang songs in different languages and told stories so it was very interesting. I wan intimidated about going since im not religious and was worried it would be hymns or bible songs and it mostly was but it was more about the community experience. After that emma marnix and I went to a restaurant and had burgers and tinto verano and just hung out and I went to bed at around 9pm. I slept until around 615. I planned on sleeping longer since I wanted to twke the bus but someone turned on the light in our room. 

My right foot is killing me. I can't bend it so I have to walk slowly on the outside of my foot to keep from screaming in pain. The first time I stood up after getting to the albergue I screamed in pain and teared up since it hurt so badly. I also had a really tight knot in my thigh I walked with all day which emma rubbed out for me so at least I was in slightly less pain but even her rubbing it made me groan in pain. It's cold again today so I knew I wanted to take the bus and try to heal my foot and my cold. I've been taking cold medicine but it doesn't seem to be very effective. Being in pain is making me hate this trip again. I was doing so well for a couple days and I'm frustrated and disappointed that I'm back to square one of having to bus. Sibel is also taking the bus simply because she doesn't like the cold. I don't understand how she just bussed when she doesn't want to walk but she seems to have no motivation for this hike and just enjoys drinking in the towns. 

Hopefully the extra rest will be exactly what I need and I will be better tomorrow to keep walking. Today is the half way point of the walk. 17 days in and and 17 to go. I feel like I've done so well but hearing I'm only half way is somewhat dishesrtening thinking about all the pain I have been through the past 2 and a half weeks. Hopefully my body continues to get stronger and I will face less injuries. Trying to remain hopeful even though I'm beginning to feel like the weakest link in my class. 

Comments