Day 19

June 30

Today was a bus day since I can't bend my right foot to walk and the weather is so cold I'm worried my cold will get worse if I push myself in the cold weather. Sibel decided to bus just because she didn't feel like walking today which is ridiculous. She even paid to get her bag sent ahead and then just bussed because she heard I was bussing. I feel like it makes people think I'm as lazy as she is and just bussing because I don't feel like walking. But honestly I'm in so much pain and I have to walk on the outside of my foot which 1 makes my shin hurt so bad and 2 means I walk really slowly and it would've taken me forever to walk the 27 km to this town.

The morning was pretty boring waiting for the bus since the buses don't come often and it was about 45 minutes late so I just sat in a cafe watching Netflix for 5 hours and then got to the albergue had a sandwhich with emma and Marnix and caroline and then took a nap while icing my foot. Most of the group beat us here since the bus didn't come until almost 1pm which was fine I'm not embarrassed to say I took the bus since I know I'm actually injured. Sibel is just unmotivated and so negative that her presence makes my bus days draining. Just like last time she complained about everything. She was outside for 10 minutes and complained about the cold and spent about an hour justifying why she was taking the bus and then kept complaining about how late the bus was.

I just wanted to bus and rest my foot like idc if I sit at a cafe or sit at the albergue I just can't move my foot. The albergue were staying at is pretty nice in terradillos. It's been a pretty relaxing day just watching Netflix and I took a short nap and then had class and a pilgrim meal and now I'm back in bed by 9pm. Tomorrow I will try walking and hope I can make it and my foot has healed a little after a rest day. I could walk through my cold but my foot is really bothering me and therefore I'm being extra careful with it so I don't push myself too hard.

Honestly I think it's funny every blog I post gets about 4 readers and I'm always curious who y'all are since I just write this like a journal for myself instead of carrying a book since I didn't want the extra weight and I can type much faster than I can write. So this seemed like the best solution. I assume y'all know me personally since I don't offer much advice about the Camino itself. It's definitely harder than I expected but today is officially the half way mark so we are making progress. Although the thought of doing the past 2 and a half weeks over again sounds like hell but at least soon we'll be in Santiago getting drunk and then after that we walk another 100 km to the coast and then 100km back again to Santiago for the festival of saint James. It's been a long trip for sure. Saying I've only been here for 3 weeks sounds crazy. Saying I've only known these people for 3 weeks sounds even weirder.

I've met people from all over the world on this trip. One guy from Australia, his grandpa hiked the Camino in 1952 and he passed away last month so he brought a stone from his grave and is making the hike in his honor. Some people do it for religious reasons but I think most people are just here for self reflection and hope to figure out what they wanna do with the rest of their lives. Ive been trying to think with more of a purpose lately and I can't. Most of my time is spent thinking about random things or else basically blogging in my head about my experiences that I later forget so these blogs aren't as poetic as what I come up with on the trail.

I really only hang out with emma and marnix and you can tell we're kind of separated from the group.  And as much as love hanging out with them I feel bad not being included with people I thought I would be with more. Corbyn and Kira still think I'm amazing and I love hanging out with them and just goofing around. And all the guys are really funny and silly and just great guys to hang out with so I'm trying not to distance myself too much. We're a pretty small group so I'm nervous it'll become cliquey and I'd like to be more cohesive. The only people I don't enjoy are Sibel and Christina. Sibel is just very negative and difficult to be around since all she does is drink and complain. And Christina just seems to lack social skills and followed me around for a while after we talked for a day which was a little much for my liking. But neither of them are awful and no one as far as I know has gotten into an arguement or anything.

Sometimes I feel left out with emma and marnix since they walk together and are very flirty so it's difficult to always feel included with their inside jokes and not feel like I'm third wheeling. Usually it's not too bad though so I try to just ignore the awkwardness. I really like the people on this trip though. I feel like I'm finally finding people who really appreciate me and enjoy hanging out with me. It's nice to not feel like a burden or last resort to people so hopefully we hang out once we get back to cnu. Emma talks about us hanging out and even invited me to her farm after we fly home to D.C. After the trip which I might take her up on if nate can't pick me up from the airport. Otherwise I at least want to visit her for a day before I head home and go back to work. Even though the hiking part sucks I love the relationships I am forming with these people.

Comments