Day 2

June 13

Well happy birthday to me. Today we started the Camino. We walked 16 miles through the Pyrenees mountains which was worse than it sounds. To be fair, we took a shuttle to the a shrine and then hiked backwards towards St Jean Pied de Port but that doesn't mean we cheated. The first 4 miles or so we're a straight climb uphill which my legs and my heart were not prepared for. Of course I took up the rear simply bc I had to stop so much to catch my breath and stretch out my calves. But I made it and thought it could only get easier right? Wrong. The next couple miles were great. It was mostly a slow downhill through some woods so there was good leafy coverage and my legs were feeling great especially since I was using hiking polls. And then it got really hot as we came out to a hilly and rocky area. We started pretty late in the day (11am) since we had to take a hurtle which was only available at 10 and then the car rides was fairly long.

So we hiked during the hottest part of the day although we only had small day packs. I didn't think to bring a small backpack so I used my sachem which wasn't too heavy but it hanging against my leg each step wasn't the most comfortable experience. I have to admit the views were phenomenal. We were up among the clouds and it ended up being a beautiful day with blue skies and big green mountains stretched into the distance with scattered houses built into the hillsides. But it was hot. And of course hiking with no tree coverage only embraces that. I was hiking with Catherine for most of the time. Talking about movies and plays and stopping periodically to either stretch out feet or take pictures of the route.

Eventually the rest of the group caught up to us and passed us. Leaving behind me and Catherine and one of the leaders Caroline who was the sweeper to make sure non of us got left behind. I was doing okay for a while but the last 6-7 miles were steep downhill and my knees began to hurt and my feet were so sore from stepping over and over again. Going downhill seems great until it's never ending. And I was exhausted from the previous 10 miles uphill through the hot sun.

So eventually I broke down. And I mean like ugly sobbing as I walked repeating over and over how I couldn't do it. Caroline tried to offer advice but there was nothing she could say that could make my knees feel better and my feet less aching every step I took. So I cried for about the last 3 miles downhill towards the town and I was deadset about going home. I texted Nate and Alyssa and of course my parents I planned on catching the next flight home since clearly I was completely unprepared for this trip and the slowest of the group. I also had been forgetting to fill my water bottle along the way so I was dehydrated and dizzy and my thighs and arms were chaffing which made walking even more painful.

When we finally reached the Pilgrim hostile, I immediately went upstairs to shower and cry in the shower privately. Soon after, I composed myself and went downstairs to have dinner with most of my group. It was delicious steak and butter noodles and salad with some sort of pudding for dessert and I'm not sure if I was hangry or being back with good company and being clean, but I cheered up and Corbyn asked if I had plans since she and some others wanted to take me out for Sangria. So a majority of our group walked down to the bar down the street and ordered 2 liters of sangria and just sat around and talked.

My knees and feet are still very sore but healing. A few of us laid on our backs and put our legs on the wall to help with circulation and welling in our feet and legs. This actually seemed to be quite helpful and also stretched out my knees which helped with pain. I still walk slowly and carefully around the hostel since my feet are so sore but they are improving. Most importantly my mood has improved drastically and I am actually considering staying to see if it gets easier. After all, some of my goals for this trip were to get skinny and tan (as self conceded as that sounds). Of course I plan on engaging with people and learning from them and also learning myself and my strengths since I often focus on my weaknesses and shortcomings.

Tomorrow's hike should be easier. It is only about 6 miles and less mountainous. Maybe tomorrow I will listen to my audiobooks I downloaded as a distraction. I should also carry Nates motivational letter at an easy to reach location since that will also be helpful. It's hard not having wifi or service ion the Camino so my phone is only usable for pictures which makes me lonely not being able to talk to my friends or parents but I'm making friends within my group and learning about their personal lives keeps me going. Wasn't planning on blogging this much but I like reviewing my day once I'm less cranky.

Comments