Day 3

june 14

Luckily today was a much needed break from yesterday's fiasco. We only hiked about 6 miles and stopped at a cafe in burgete where I just bought cold water and pet a big husky on the patio. The weather was hot today and we started later at 10 am because we took the shuttle to the same shrine we started at last time and this time went the correct way on the Camino. Today was fairly flat and a lots of shade with 1 big hill that I had to stop a couple times on to catch my breath. Again, I was the last one so caroline walked with me at my slow pace.

I feel bad she has to be a sweeper since the whole motto of the trip is hike at your own pace. I wish we didn't have to walk as a group and so I could simply start earlier and walk at my pace alone listening to my audiobooks I downloaded or talk to other pilgrims. The road isn't very busy but I did meet a man from Minneapolis Minnesota today which I was excited to find another Minnesotan. I'm looking forward to listening to my books. I downloaded the pilgrimage by Paulo Coelho, 1984 by George Orwell, The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho, and The Girl on The Train by Paula Hawkins. The first one I've talked about, it's about his pilgrimage on the Camino which I've started reading but never had time to finish. 1984 and the alchemist are 2 of my favorite books I haven't read in a long time and the girl on the train just sounded interesting

I know Caroline is trying to be helpful and walk slowly with me but I just end up feeling guilty that she's having to slow her walk and make small talk with me for hours on end. Today we got into a discussion about religion since she was a theology major and is now eating her PhD in relgious studies. I was raised Lutheran but I'm not a believer anymore but it still interests me to hear people discuss their religion since usually they're very passionate about it. She's part of the Assembly of God and talked about how they believe you have a moment in your life where you are filled with the Holy Spirit and she talked about her moment in college. I find religion interesting since I don't believe. It amazes me how people dedicate so much of their life to God and find so much strength and power in an unseeable force.

I stopped believing in God around 7th grade. I had been through some tough times and there were so many huge problems in the world and horrible things that have happened to people I know. So I guess I got turned off by the idea that there's an invisible man in the sky with a plan who can control everything and still allows people to struggle the way they do. There's people I know who have been raped and grown from that experience but I don't think any of them are ever thankful for that. I don't think most people would chose to go through a horrific experience to come out stronger. I think people are sole deciders of how they behave and other people's choices influence them and they learn to grow from certain experiences out of survival.

When I finally got to the alburge I took off my shoes and found 4 big blisters on my feet. I also saw that that my thighs had chaffed to the point of my bleeding so Corbyn gave me some lavender essential oils to rub on it and i bandaged my blisters in hopes they don't bother me tomorrow. My calves are stiff and sore so I'm nervous for tomorrow. It's hard because I don't walk fast enough to keep up with Corbyn and Emma and Kira so I feel like they're bonding without me and I only see them once we get to town. I really like hanging out with them and they don't make me feel left out but I am starting to feel lonely being the slowest walker in the group. Corbyn also mentioned today that she talked to someone who did this trip last year and he said after a week the group breaks up and u hike with different people and stay at different alburges and eventually the group stops being close which is a shame because I really like this group of people. Everyone is so genuine and so fun to discuss deep things with.

Honestly I think one of the reasons I did this trip was to meet more people. I don't feel entirely secure with my friend group at college since I just kind of bounce around and my anxiety this past semester has made me really insecure about my relationships with other people. So I'd love to get close to some of these people and continue to hang out next fall back at school and have friends that I feel really know me and are just genuinely good people. But who knows. Maybe making friends on the Camino with people from all over the world will be equally rewarding in it's own way. Only time will tell.

Comments