Day 4
We have class each day at 5pm and talk about history of the Camino and the religious history of pilgrimages. Yesterday we talked about the difference between a pilgrim and a tourist. A tourist is constantly looking for the next adventure. They bring their culture into the place they travel too. A pilgrim immerses themselves in a situation and simply lives in the moment, allowing themselves to be closer to a higher being or to their own soul. So far, I think I am both. I want to be a true pilgrim. Someone who allows myself to be completely present and learn about myself and the world. But I also think I am still a tourist. I am still stuck in my head about problems and want to seek happiness and adventure.
For the class we have to talk to other pilgrims about their reasoning for joining the class and I think I want to focus on thankfulness. I want to ask people what they are thankful for and who they think they have to thank for blessings. This trip has already taught me in a short time to be thankful for many things. Going down hill makes me thankful for up hills since it's easier on my joints. Going up hill makes me thankful for downhills since I can breathe easier. Bald spots make me thankful for tree coverage for shade. And tree coverage makes me thankful for open spaces since there's wind which also cools me down. I have become thankful for simple things like showers and beds. I am conscious of wifi and outlets to charge my phone so I am able to contact friends and family.
I also want to know who people are thankful to. I myself, am thankful for people in my life, my privilege, Mother Earth, the spirit of the universe. I think many people hold God responsible for their blessings and often give thanks to him when they have positive experiences. Perhaps some people do not have a specified being they are thankful to for things in their lives.
I think this is one of the main lessons I have learned from this pilgrimage after only 4 days and am interested in other people and whether or not the Camino has changed their answers. I am way more thankful for the little things after not having access to many parts of my daily life back in America. One of my favorite quotes from the alchemist is "when each day is the same as the next, it's because people fail to realize the good things that happen in their lives everyday the sun rises". I think this quote expresses how it is so important to focus on the good things each day in order to be happy. Being thankful changes how we view each day that passes, because without the little moments, each day would be similar.
I can already tell I've lost a couple pounds which is exciting. Today as I hiked, I was more energetic and optimistic. We hiked about 14 miles today to Larrasona which included some fairly tough hills but I stopped less going up hill because I am stronger and I felt less exhausted thinking of how much further I had to go. Sybils feet were bothering her today so her and caroline were the tail end of the group and I hiked a majority of the time alone which I enjoyed. I listening to Bon Iver and walked at my own pace and took pictures of the most beautiful scenes on the hike. I enjoyed today much more than previous days. And because we walked an extra couple miles today, we will hike less tomorrow to Pomplona which is the first major city we come to. There I will buy a SIM card and hopefully earrings since my ear piercing is closing up since I've lost my earrings. My blisters got worse today and one popped and I popped another and then wrapped them both in leukotape in attempts to keep them clean and sterile. Hopefully now that they are dried out they will begin to heal and callus up. My calves were very tight this morning and it took about a mile to loosen up my muscles. If I sit for longer than 15 minutes my legs tighten up again and I have to waddle for 5-10 minutes until my body warms back up and works properly.
Comments
Post a Comment