Day 6

June 17

Well I bailed out this morning and took the bus. I woke up and got ready to go for the hike but my Achilles was so painful I broke down crying from the pain. So at 6am while the rest of the group gathered to begin their hike, I waddled the opposite way towards the bus station. The city was actually beautiful that early and there were very few people so it was very peaceful. When I finally got to the bus station I sat on a bench and just people watched for about 30 minutes since the first bus didn't leave until 730 and I had time to kill. At around 7 I walked downstairs into the bus station and bought my ticket. The bus ride was beautiful. The scenery was mountains and golden fields spread out far so that it looks like the dessert. It was only 25 minutes and the bus dropped me off in the center of town.

I walked to the nearest little cafe and got a chocolate crossaint and hot chocolate and then watched orange is the new black on my phone while I watched other pilgrims walk past and eat in the cafe. After that I walked around the town and took pictures of the city. It's a besutiful city with close together tall houses set in the mountains next to a river with a big plaza in the middle. After that I found a bridge which is seen in many paintings and wandered down to a glass clearing beneath the bridge and sat and just enjoyed the outdoors. I laid down with my backpack as a pillow and just kept watching orange is the new black and then just watching the river flow and listening to the birds. Some people walking along the bridge said hello to me and one Italian man said something to me in Italian or Spanish and then said "photo" so I thought he wanted me to take a pic of him but instead he just took a picture of me sitting on the ground sorting through my backpack. I threw out a couple things but ultimately most of the stuff in my pack is essential.

After that I walked through town again to try to find earrings. There was a Zumba class going on in the plaza which was fun to watch and finally found cute silver tree earrings. My piercings are still only a little over a year old so they were beginning to close up after not having an earring in it for about a week. So hopefully these don't fall out because I really like them and they were 10 euros which is pretty expensive for earrings but I love them. Then I explored the church in the city and got a stamp for my pilgrim passport which keeps track of everywhere I go.

At around 12 I made my way to the albergue which was up a really steep hill so by the time I made it inside I looked as if I had been hiking and sweating all day. I put my stuff down and immediately got into the pool which was a blessing. It's the first pool I've seen since I've been here and it was freezing which felt pretty good. After a while Sibel and will showed up and eventually the rest of the group showed up and sat poolside with beers. Right now, I'm with Emma and marnix waiting for our class to start at 5 and then going into town with Corbyn and Kira to get paella for dinner.

Today was probably my favorite day so far just because I finally got time to relax and really get time to explore the town. This town is beautiful and my favorite so far. I iced my Achilles so it's feeling better now and hopefully after another night of sleep I will feel well enough to hike. Today seemed like a hard day and the rest of the group came back exhausted so it was nice to avoid that for a day. My blisters are still pretty bad so just waiting for them to heal too

Comments