Day 20
July 1
Today was an eventful day although I didn't plan for it to be. I woke up and my foot was still killing me even worse than yesterday but we had plans to meet a woman we had met last week at her house for coffee in the next town 3km away so I decided I would walk there and then taxi to town with Kira since the bus doesn't go there and Kira has lots of stress fractures and shin splints. So I walked very slowly since I can barely bend my foot and it's very swollen so it took me a little over an hour to get there and then since Kira doesn't have a lot of money we decided to hitch hike.
I've never hitch hiked before and honestly I'm kind of terrified of it but it's been on my bucket list. So me and Kira walked along the highway and stuck our thumbs out to cars who drove past going the right direction. It was a very untraveled highway so about 3 cars passed us in 30 minutes and finally a man stopped and so we got in. Being extra cautious, I texted nate what brand of car I was in and what the man looked like but once we got to talking he was extremely nice and dropped us off in the next town about 8km away without payment.
We walked to a cafe along the Camino and had breakfast and sat there waiting for the rest of our class to pass us. After a couple hours I texted marnix asking where they all were and he said at the hospital because Wills foot was very badly infected. Then the whole group met us at the cafe and kip suggested I take the train with will to Leon which is a city about 3 days down the Camino. Will was ordered by the doctor to not walk for 7 days and they thought I could use the break too since I had been struggling for the past couple days.
So I helped Kira get a cab to the city where the class was walking to today and then me and will took the train to Leon. It's been a long day and me and will are both limping around the city but looking forward to sleeping in tomorrow and catching up on rest and good food until the group meets us here on Monday. We went out to dinner at a restaurant called the patio and I had amazing garlic shrimp and sangria. We also have a private room and bathroom at this unamuno albergue for only 10 euros. It's a university dorm during the school year and an albergue during the summer months which is interesting.
I'm hoping these couple days of rest lets my body recover from my cold and heals my foot so I can walk painfree. I enjoyed the Camino so much after my Achilles healed and now I am back to struggling and hating each step. Honestly I thought Will hated me for the first half of the trip but he's slowly warming up to me and tonight at dinner got us talking and bonding which was special. He's a very tortured soul kind of guy. He writes and plays music and always seems to be in his feels so it's interesting to get to know him.
It's sad being away from the group and tonight is the night the group is camping out to look at the stars so im disappointed im missing it but it will be 45 degrees so I know I would not sleep and just get more sick. So I know it is a good choice but I miss my friends and the other pilgrims I have gotten used to traveling with each day. Seeing them all on Monday will be exciting and until then I will be eating and resting and exploring this city which has so much to offer.
Today was an eventful day although I didn't plan for it to be. I woke up and my foot was still killing me even worse than yesterday but we had plans to meet a woman we had met last week at her house for coffee in the next town 3km away so I decided I would walk there and then taxi to town with Kira since the bus doesn't go there and Kira has lots of stress fractures and shin splints. So I walked very slowly since I can barely bend my foot and it's very swollen so it took me a little over an hour to get there and then since Kira doesn't have a lot of money we decided to hitch hike.
I've never hitch hiked before and honestly I'm kind of terrified of it but it's been on my bucket list. So me and Kira walked along the highway and stuck our thumbs out to cars who drove past going the right direction. It was a very untraveled highway so about 3 cars passed us in 30 minutes and finally a man stopped and so we got in. Being extra cautious, I texted nate what brand of car I was in and what the man looked like but once we got to talking he was extremely nice and dropped us off in the next town about 8km away without payment.
We walked to a cafe along the Camino and had breakfast and sat there waiting for the rest of our class to pass us. After a couple hours I texted marnix asking where they all were and he said at the hospital because Wills foot was very badly infected. Then the whole group met us at the cafe and kip suggested I take the train with will to Leon which is a city about 3 days down the Camino. Will was ordered by the doctor to not walk for 7 days and they thought I could use the break too since I had been struggling for the past couple days.
So I helped Kira get a cab to the city where the class was walking to today and then me and will took the train to Leon. It's been a long day and me and will are both limping around the city but looking forward to sleeping in tomorrow and catching up on rest and good food until the group meets us here on Monday. We went out to dinner at a restaurant called the patio and I had amazing garlic shrimp and sangria. We also have a private room and bathroom at this unamuno albergue for only 10 euros. It's a university dorm during the school year and an albergue during the summer months which is interesting.
I'm hoping these couple days of rest lets my body recover from my cold and heals my foot so I can walk painfree. I enjoyed the Camino so much after my Achilles healed and now I am back to struggling and hating each step. Honestly I thought Will hated me for the first half of the trip but he's slowly warming up to me and tonight at dinner got us talking and bonding which was special. He's a very tortured soul kind of guy. He writes and plays music and always seems to be in his feels so it's interesting to get to know him.
It's sad being away from the group and tonight is the night the group is camping out to look at the stars so im disappointed im missing it but it will be 45 degrees so I know I would not sleep and just get more sick. So I know it is a good choice but I miss my friends and the other pilgrims I have gotten used to traveling with each day. Seeing them all on Monday will be exciting and until then I will be eating and resting and exploring this city which has so much to offer.
Comments
Post a Comment