Day 22

July 3

Well I finally went to the hospital and I have tendonitis in my right foot so I have a prescription for pain killer and muscle relaxer. I also have to rest for another 3 days so I'm going a little stir crazy. Luckily, my schools insurance will reimburse me once I get back to the states so that's nice to not have to pay 70 euros out of pocket. Although 70 euros for a doctors appointment isn't too bad. I was just hoping it would be free since I am a pilgrim. I had marnix and emma come with me since marnix speaks Spanish really well and it was such a good thing I had him because the receptionist spoke no English and I speak no Spanish besides "muy mal"  and pointing to explain my injury.

It was so much fun being with emma and marnix again. It wasn't awkward at all. We went to the super market and bought sandwhich stuff for lunch and then went back to the hotel to eat and hang out and it was so much fun just laying around with them in bed and eating. I really missed them and they're still really flirty but I'm glad it wasn't any more uncomfortable than usual. Tonight they'll have to sleep in the same bed since the hotel accidentally only gave them 1 queen bed instead of 2 so it'll be interesting to hear about tomorrow but she said nothing is going to happen.

Being back with the 2 of them makes it harder to imagine staying in Leon for another 3 days without them. But it's so expensive to keep bussing from city to city each day. So I'm not sure what my plan will be yet. I will at least sleep in tomorrow and go to pick up my prescription and then maybe look at bus schedule with to decide if I should take the bus tomorrow afternoon or Wednesday morning to catch up with the group in the next big city.

I miss being with the group andbwven the rest of the class got so excited to see me today and all asked how I was and said they missed me which made me feel a lot better. In class today kip told me that they were discussing trail names for people in the group. On the Appalachian trail, people get assigned trail names that describe who they are or a certain experience. So like emma is sour patch kid because she's sour then sweet. Marnix is moss because he grows on you. Steven is Hoover bc he's a vacuum who eats everything. Kira is 5 more minutes because she hates waking up early. Christina is pack explosion because every time she opens up her pack her stuff ends up everywhere.

And my name is puddleglum. Which when they first told me I thought they were crazy. But kip told me that puddleglum is a character from the chronicles of narnia who is this huge cynic with an attitude but keeps on going. So I did some research on him and found

"Puddleglum is described as an eternal, cheerful pessimist. His frontmost trait is his habit for expecting disaster in nearly every situation, and indeed assuming the worst in everyone. Humans may find this depressing and irritating, yet Puddleglum's fellow Marsh-wiggles consider him to be 'flighty'. 
When disaster does strike, Puddleglum proves that he is not just a 'wet blanket', as Eustacecalls him. He displays loyalty to Aslan, and to the signs even after his companions all but abandon their quest. He also shows remarkable courage and resilience in the face of the Lady of the Green Kirtle, and the Fall of Underland. 
Puddleglum's most prominent trait is an unshakeable faith in the forces of good. This can be seen when he announces his undivided faith in Aslan to the Lady of the Green Kirtle after he successfully interrupts her enchantment."

Which is quite possibly the most accurate description of me. I'm a huge pessimist but somehow I always have a smile on my face and refuse to give up even if I'm miserable. So puddleglum fits me perfectly.



Comments