Day 29

July 10

Today I woke up ready to hike and was so exhausted and my foot was killing me I just texted emma and marnix and said I was gonna take a taxi. So I went back to bed for a couple more hours and when I woke up Sibel was still there and said she was gonna bus since it was her birthday. Which was kind of frustrating since I walked up 26km into the fucking pyranees on my birthday and she seems to just bus because she doesn't feel like walking. And I think that's giving me a bad name and making it look like im not really injured.

And will was also still there so the 3 of us bussed to villafranca and then hung out there because Will needed to get money from the post office since an ATM swallowed his card on the first day in st Jean. Which btw if ur doing the Camino make sure you use an ATM attached to an open bank and never withdraw money on sundays. That's the best advice I got. Anyways his mom sends him money orders basically and he had to wait to pick it up while they did paperwork so the 3 of us wandered around the city and visited some churches although we couldn't go in since they were all closed on Monday. And then we went to a bar and ate and drank overlooking the river while Sibel patched up wills toe

His toe is pretty gross. There's a giant hole where skin should be but at least it's not black and doesn't seem to be infected anymore. Just looks painful and he said he's having a hard time walking on it. After that we taxied to town and then went to the super market where I bought more shampoo and finally bought deodorant since mine exploded in my pack a couple weeks ago and I smell so awful. I also got some granola bars and juice which I took back to the albergue and ate them all.

The albergue we stayed at was das animas which was owned by a really sweet German couple who were super welcoming and the albergue itself was super cozy and cold at night so snuggling in my sleeping bag felt amazing. I watched Netflix and then took about a 30 minute nap before I got woken up for class. And then after class I felt awkward hanging out with emma and marnix so I went back to laying in bed and facetimed nate to talk about my days.

And then I went to dinner with the class for Sibels birthday which was pretty fun although I definitely have a better time with emma and marnix. And I think they both felt left out because they were the only 2 people who didn't come to dinner but they exclude themselves a lot too because they're so coupley and have so many inside jokes and don't love the people in our class. And then after that I got back into bed and immediately fell asleep because I just was so exhausted. My feet definitely hurt although they do a lot better on the days I don't push myself too hard. Just wish they would stay healthy so I could start enjoying the trip more.

I don't hate this trip but I definitely wouldn't do it again. The classes are 7 days a week for an hour and a half which is way more class time than a usual class at cnu and the hike is so difficult and I am in so much pain each step. It's just a very difficult thing to really enjoy and embrace and be grateful I did. I'm excited to go home and heal and make money. But I'm really thankful I met the people on this trip although I probably didn't need to go through this pain to bond with them the way I did. I don't completely agree with kip that pain is a bonding strategy. It definitely is but I think there's less harmful ways to achieve the same goal.

Comments