Day 34

July 15

I slept in since I had a hotel room and I wasn't going to be kicked out at 8am. So I slept until 830 and then checked out and had reception call a taxi. Since we're now walking on the primativo, my guide book doesn't include these towns so I was basically lost. Marnix took a picture of kips maps but I didn't recognize any of the towns except for 1. We could either walk 31 and 26 or 24 and 33 kilometers. And I knew the 24 mark was Ferreira so I just told the taxi drive to take me there and after about 15km I saw emma sitting on the side of the road so I told the taxi driver to just let me out there.

I didn't really walk with emma since she was going faster than me but it was nice to see her. My feet hurt but it was mostly my Achilles pain that was bothering me. And also my left knee hurt a lot going downhills. It was a lot of road walking and hilly so it wasn't difficult just felt to go on forever and the uphills left me out of breath while the downhills just slammed my knee with every step.

Eventually I caught up with emma at a bar in Ferreira and we sat for about 20 minutes and waited to see some other people from our class but no one showed up so we decided to go the final 6km to as seixas which is where we would stay. By then it was hot and around 2pm so I was exhausted by the time I got to the albergue. So we checked in and I did laundry and then ended up napping for a couple hours and woke up when the rest of the group had finished cooking dinner.

So we had a big family dinner with angel hair pasta with pesto and vegetables and chorizo which was simple but very filling and we had tons so the full carb overload put me back to sleep pretty fast. I had to stay up to figure out how to send my pack forward with Kira so that I could keep some weight off of my back so walking would be easier on my feet. So we made a reservation and then I crawled into bed and watched about 5 minutes of Netflix before I turned it off and fell asleep by 10pm. Today was a pretty basic day. It honestly felt a little uncomfortable seeing emma again since the last time I just sat silently through dinner and blew her and marnix off.

Oh other super fun fact of the day: I got really exhausted and dizzy about 5km in and so I moved to the side of the road and accidentally stepped on the side of the pavement and fell and scraped up my knee pretty bad so that's bothering me now too. Add that to the list of injuries. Other than that I've been doing alright. My feet are hurting but I've dealt with worse o this trip.

Comments