Day 36
July 17
Today is the last day before we hike into Santiago tomorrow. I walked the full 23 kilometers again today this time completely with emma. Again I sent my pack ahead so that I could take the weight off my foot and we weren't in a huge rush to get into town since we are camping out tonight so we don't have to check into an albergue. So we stopped at 3 cafes and ate a little and rested our feet since Emma's knee and feet are still bothering her and she's developed blisters between her toes that are really bothering her.
It was a pretty easy hike and tomorrow should be a little tougher but nothing impossible. Although I can't slack pack tomorrow since I can't leave my bag somewhere in town since I'm bringing it out to camp out so having the full weight will hurt my feet more. The other thing about tomorrow is we walk as a group. So the slowest person ( in our case probably Christina) walks in front to set the pace and we all follow so we walk in as a group.
Emma said she'll probably cry when we get there and I honestly ron know how I'll react. This trip has been so long and challenging and I can't say knowing what I know I would do it again. The hike is rough and kip and caroline did not prepare us near enough. And although my depression has been way better than last semester i still had a couple really hard days that made me want to crawl into bed and cry but I had to wake up at 5am and hike 25 km and get tendonitis and blisters and sore muscles and sun burns.
If you're looking to do the Camino my advice is this:
Go in May and June so it's cooler and less crowded
Buy leukotape and gauze and sunscreen
Pack light (sleeping bag, rain coat, 2 sets of clothes, underwear, 3 pairs of socks, and toiletries)
All albergues have mattresses and pillows for you
Train walking long distance
Train on mountains
Train on flat ground
Break your shoes in so you get your blisters before the trip
Buy good shoes (my Keens saved me)
Don't go with a group so you can set your own pace
If you need a rest day take one
If you think you have tendonitis you probably do so rest 3 days
Bring earplugs if you can't sleep through snoring
Headphones and portable chargers are fantastic
Stop and fill up your water even if you think you have enough
Learn some Spanish so you can order food and have some manners when navigating Spain
The Camino is meant to be enjoyed so give yourself 5-6 weeks to allow yourself rest days and some shorter days when you just don't feel like doing 30 kilometers. The nature is beautiful. But most of the trip I was in so much pain I couldn't look around and enjoy myself. And I think that's what was so horrible about this trip. I felt isolated and was in pain and it made it difficult to feel connected to the Camino. I didn't get some spiritual awakening like I wanted. In fact kips lessons turned me further off from religion. It made me question so many of his stories that I just couldn't wrap my head around to see as true.
Right now we are all camping out in a oak grove about 18 km from Santiago and I couldn't be more excited to say I'm done with this whole thing. It's pretty but it's hot out and I'm getting eaten alive by mosquitos and when we hear people coming we have to be silent so the police don't find us since it's illegal to camp out. But I'm excited to wake up in the middle of the night and see the stars and enjoy the fresh air with this group. This group of people is the one thing I'm thankful to the Camino for. Without it I wouldn't have met Christian and Anna from North Carolina or the other 12 people that go to my school that I never had any interaction for before this. It's a love hate relationship so maybe once I go home I might gain some insight and appreciate it more.
Today is the last day before we hike into Santiago tomorrow. I walked the full 23 kilometers again today this time completely with emma. Again I sent my pack ahead so that I could take the weight off my foot and we weren't in a huge rush to get into town since we are camping out tonight so we don't have to check into an albergue. So we stopped at 3 cafes and ate a little and rested our feet since Emma's knee and feet are still bothering her and she's developed blisters between her toes that are really bothering her.
It was a pretty easy hike and tomorrow should be a little tougher but nothing impossible. Although I can't slack pack tomorrow since I can't leave my bag somewhere in town since I'm bringing it out to camp out so having the full weight will hurt my feet more. The other thing about tomorrow is we walk as a group. So the slowest person ( in our case probably Christina) walks in front to set the pace and we all follow so we walk in as a group.
Emma said she'll probably cry when we get there and I honestly ron know how I'll react. This trip has been so long and challenging and I can't say knowing what I know I would do it again. The hike is rough and kip and caroline did not prepare us near enough. And although my depression has been way better than last semester i still had a couple really hard days that made me want to crawl into bed and cry but I had to wake up at 5am and hike 25 km and get tendonitis and blisters and sore muscles and sun burns.
If you're looking to do the Camino my advice is this:
Go in May and June so it's cooler and less crowded
Buy leukotape and gauze and sunscreen
Pack light (sleeping bag, rain coat, 2 sets of clothes, underwear, 3 pairs of socks, and toiletries)
All albergues have mattresses and pillows for you
Train walking long distance
Train on mountains
Train on flat ground
Break your shoes in so you get your blisters before the trip
Buy good shoes (my Keens saved me)
Don't go with a group so you can set your own pace
If you need a rest day take one
If you think you have tendonitis you probably do so rest 3 days
Bring earplugs if you can't sleep through snoring
Headphones and portable chargers are fantastic
Stop and fill up your water even if you think you have enough
Learn some Spanish so you can order food and have some manners when navigating Spain
The Camino is meant to be enjoyed so give yourself 5-6 weeks to allow yourself rest days and some shorter days when you just don't feel like doing 30 kilometers. The nature is beautiful. But most of the trip I was in so much pain I couldn't look around and enjoy myself. And I think that's what was so horrible about this trip. I felt isolated and was in pain and it made it difficult to feel connected to the Camino. I didn't get some spiritual awakening like I wanted. In fact kips lessons turned me further off from religion. It made me question so many of his stories that I just couldn't wrap my head around to see as true.
Right now we are all camping out in a oak grove about 18 km from Santiago and I couldn't be more excited to say I'm done with this whole thing. It's pretty but it's hot out and I'm getting eaten alive by mosquitos and when we hear people coming we have to be silent so the police don't find us since it's illegal to camp out. But I'm excited to wake up in the middle of the night and see the stars and enjoy the fresh air with this group. This group of people is the one thing I'm thankful to the Camino for. Without it I wouldn't have met Christian and Anna from North Carolina or the other 12 people that go to my school that I never had any interaction for before this. It's a love hate relationship so maybe once I go home I might gain some insight and appreciate it more.
Comments
Post a Comment