Day 39

July 20

Today me and emma woke up around 5am to start hiking early since it was a 32km day and we had to try to all get to the municipal albergue since we didn't have a reservation and there were only 40 beds. After about 3km we made a wrong turn since we followed the scallop shell on a building and it was too dark to see the yellow arrows painted on the ground going the opposite direction. So we walked an extra 5km through some dark farm roads trying to navigate around and eventually we just turned around and found the yellow arrows. So then everyone got ahead of us and we ended up an hour behind our planned schedule.

It was a painful walk for the both of us and although I had sent my pack ahead my feet were killing me with every step and my tendonitis in my right foot started sending shooting pains. So after 17.5 km of us walking we got to the first cafe and decided to taxi. Anna and Christian were there and seemed defeated so then anna said she would also taxi with us and then we sat around waiting for Corbyn and Kira who we also knew weren't doing so hot.

Kira wanted to keep walking but Corbyn agreed to taxi and then started crying because she hated not walking. She had made it through the entire Camino de Santiago and here we were 3 days out from the end of the world and her blister and feet were killing her. But the 4 of us took a taxi to the albergue and then sat outside with our sleeping bags wrapped around us waiting for them to open at 1pm.

We actually had a really nice talk about kip and the Group walk into Santiago a couple days prior and about our beliefs on religion and our experience hiking the Camino and I was very honest. Corbyn asked what I thought I had learned about myself and I said "honestly this trip has brought me into a depression and I'm left wondering why I'm always the most injured and slowest and I just feel like a burden to this whole group and like I wasted $4000. I came in with such high expectations I would become a better person and have a spiritual awakening but kip has completely turned me off of religion and I just don't feel good about myself anymore". And Corbyn was really sweet and was sad I felt like that but explained she didn't get the vibe I was a burden from anyone and the one thing I should know about myself is that I'm funny and have a light when I walk into a room and can make anyone laugh even if I'm having a bad day.

It just felt good to be honest and be complimented. I know I'm really cyncical and very hard on myself so I have a really hard time noticing the good things about myself and I've been really disappointed with this trip and the classes and my self growth and awareness. We talked about how we wish class was more interactive and we learned about other relgions besides Christianity. We talked about how kips passion about god was intimidating and discouraging because how can that be the only way religion around the globe is. He just talks in a very 1 track mind about how his way is the right way and other relgions are foolish.

The classes everyday are also just him talking and reading off his iPad which isn't interactive and we agreed we'd like more class discussions about our individual beliefs or have "guest speakers" of other people on the Camino of why they did the Camino and what they believed. We talked about how we wish the trip was less structured because it felt like we were on "Kip's Camino" not our personal camino. We wish we could choose where we stayed or how we spent our evenings or how far we walked each day.

It just was a really nice talk with the 3 of them that made me feel like I had more friends than just emma on this trip which i had really been struggling with that I hadn't felt real connections with the people in my class. After that a big group of us went down to a little stream and just laid down and took cat naps and Lucas played music and we soaked our feet in the cold water and then eventually I was too tired and needed a real nap.

The only other significant part of my day was me emma and anna went to dinner and had a super uncomfortable waiter who kept coming up to us and asking how old we were and how old we thought he was and was super eager to get us more food even after another waitress had gotten us food. It just was funny because he would just stand next to our table in silence and look at us for a while and then walk away if another waiter came by.

It wasn't a very exciting day but it just felt good to have a genuine conversation about the cons of this trip and have Corbyn encourage me to focus on some more of the positives of this trip and myself that I hadn't really thought about.

Comments